LOS ALTOS, Calif. - September 30, 2008 - Talend, the first provider of open source data integration software, today announced the company’s expansion with several new global customers, the signing of several North American and European strategic partners and the expansion of its business operations. These milestones alongside numerous industry accolades have extended the company’s technical and market lead in the open source data integration market.
The popularity of Talend Open Studio, Talend’s flagship open source data integration solution, has risen sharply since its introduction two years ago, with over 2.5 million lifetime downloads.
“Today only alternative deployment models such as open source and SaaS (Software as a Service) are in a position to generate the type of return on investment that is demanded by the market,” said Jean-François Gallouin, partner with Allianz Private Equity Partners, a leading venture capital firm. “This of course explains the many successful investments in open source companies and is why we strongly support Talend, which is today in a unique position to accelerate its growth on the global market.”
“The outstanding growth in the past year on all fronts -- customers, partnerships and downloads -- highlights the strong demand for Talend’s open source data integration tools to provide optimally priced solutions for organizations of all sizes,” said Bertrand Diard, co-founder and CEO of Talend. “Our community has been instrumental in helping to further develop and enhance our products. We’re excited to build upon Talend’s strong position in the year ahead.”
Talend’s successful business model was recently highlighted in an IDC white paper sponsored by Talend.
“Talend has shown that open source technology does not always represent the trailing edge. In this case, it represents the leading edge,” wrote Carl Olofson in the IDC white paper1, “Talend Uses Open Source to Deliver Low-Cost, Easy-to-Use Enterprise Data Integration.”
Highlights for Talend in the last year include:
- The number of Talend Open Studio downloads has more than tripled in the last year to 500,000 core product downloads.
- Talend welcomed over 200 new paying customers since the beginning of 2008, including many global organizations such as Yahoo!, US Cellular, SwissLife, Honda Bank, Virgin Mobile France, Shopping.com, Levolor, MyBuys, Car & Boat Media and Eurofins.
- Since its launch, Talend has been steadily taking market share from proprietary data integration tools such as Informatica PowerCenter, IBM WebSphere DataStage and SAP/Business Objects Data Integrator.
- The Talend Community hosted on www.talendforge.org has grown dramatically, to more than 2,200 active forum users. Nearly one-third of the more than 300 components in Talend Open Studio have been contributed by community members.
- Talend-related online communities or groups in social networking environments have been started and are growing significantly, especially on LinkedIn, Viadeo, Xing and Facebook.
- Talend announced the availability of Talend Data Quality, the first product to combine data integration, data profiling and data quality in an open source suite.
- Talend announced Talend Open Profiler, the first open source data profiler.
- Talend announced Talend Integration Suite 2.4, the first open source product with Change Data Capture to streamline data integration for enterprises.
- Talend announced version 2.3 of Talend Open Studio, the company’s flagship open source data integration solution.
Accolades and Appointments
- Talend was recognized by the SourceForge.net Community Choice Awards as a finalist in the category “Most Likely to be the Next $1 Billion Acquisition.”
- Talend was widely quoted in print and online news outlets such as InfoWorld, Network World, InformationWeek, Computerworld, PC World and Linux.com.
- Talend bolstered its leadership team with the appointment of software industry veteran Jean-Luc Solans as vice president of strategy and business development. Solans previously worked at Hyperion, which was acquired by Oracle.
- Talend opened a new Benelux office, joining existing operations in California, France, Germany and China, and expanded its business development teams in existing offices, giving the company a substantial presence in North America, Europe and Asia-Pac.
- Talend launched its Talend Ambassador Awards, which recognize innovative and effective projects using Talend’s data integration technology. The City of Brantford in Ontario, Canada and Eurofins in France and Germany were among this year’s winners.
Talend entered several dozen partnerships to expand its ecosystem of technology partners and distribution/integration channels including:
- Greenplum—Talend and Greenplum announced a partnership for software integration, marketing and sales, bringing new high-performance analytic capabilities to businesses of all sizes.
- EnterpriseDB—Talend and EnterpriseDB announced a partnership that enables customers using EnterpriseDB’s Postgres Plus and Postgres Plus Advanced Server to use Talend’s open source data integration software to migrate and integrate data.
- ParAccel—Talend and ParAccel announced collaboration on joint sales and marketing initiatives to provide customers with high-performing data integration and management solutions.
- Microsoft—Talend announced plans to work with Microsoft to optimize Talend’s software on the Microsoft Windows platform.
- Pipeline Software—Talend and Pipeline Software, the SAP Integration Experts, signed an agreement to allow customers to integrate data between SAP and other business-critical applications.
- Sage CRM—Talend and Sage CRM entered into an OEM partnership that uses Talend’s open source data integration technology to enable seamless data exchanges between Sage CRM and many operational applications and external files.
- Coheris—Coheris, one of the major players in the CRM and BI markets, added the Talend Integration Suite to its offering.
- Knowledge Relay—Talend and Knowledge Relay announced an OEM partnership that enables Knowledge Relay’s Enterprise Visualization Suite to work with Talend’s data integration technology to manage the flow of BI information in the enterprise.
“We couldn’t be more proud of the great strides Talend has made in making enterprise-class data integration affordable to organizations of all sizes,” said Diard, Talend’s co-founder and CEO. “Talend’s rapid growth is set to increase in the coming months. We’re planning to increase our quarter-on-quarter revenues by 50 percent or more, double the number of company employees and continue our geographical expansion with a focus on Latin America and Northern Europe. We will also continue to help our community grow and contribute more to the product, develop our OEM program to target more ISVs, small and large, in all industries, and deploy additional programs to support our channel. Finally, while we continue to reinforce our position in the data integration market as the only viable alternative to proprietary vendors, we will also aim to become a key player in the SOA stack.”
About Talend Open Studio
Talend Open Studio, the industry’s first pure open source data integration solution, combines metadata-driven design and execution, with an easy-to-use graphical development environment, to deliver better scalability at a lower total cost of ownership than traditional data integration or Extract, Transform and Load (ETL) solutions. Talend’s technology and business vision shatters the traditional proprietary model and provides the flexibility required to meet the needs of all organizations – regardless of their size, level of expertise or budgetary constraints. To download, please visit www.talend.com/download.php.
Talend is the first provider of open source data integration software. After three years of intense research and development and with solid financial backing from leading investment firms, Talend revolutionized the world of data integration when it released the first version of Talend Open Studio in 2006. Talend’s solutions are used primarily for migration and integration between operational systems, as well as for ETL (Extract, Transform, Load) for Business Intelligence and Data Warehousing. Unlike proprietary, closed solutions that only the largest organizations can afford, Talend makes enterprise-class data integration solutions affordable to organizations of all sizes. To download Talend Open Studio free of charge, visit www.talend.com
1 IDC White Paper sponsored by Talend, Talend Uses Open Source to Deliver Low-Cost, Easy-to Use Enterprise Data Integration, Doc # 214012, September 2008
Yves de Montcheuil
John McElhenny, 781-684-0770