Kalido, the leading independent provider of data governance solutions, today announced that a recent Nucleus Research, Inc. report titled An Initial Look at Kalido Data Governance Director outlines the benefits and best practices of data governance programs in general, as well as of Kalido® Data Governance Director™ in particular. According to the research note, “Nucleus analysts found that a single platform for data governance with repeatable templates and workflows such as Kalido Data Governance Director could help organizations to operationalize data governance.” The report can be found at www.kalido.com/nucleus.
Defining the Scope of the Problem
Nucleus found, “As more data is exposed to more users more rapidly, data quality becomes a more obvious and pressing problem.” Despite this and other significant challenges presented by poor data governance and the many efforts undertaken to address them, the study found that the majority of organizations struggled in their efforts because they lack a common framework for implementing, maintaining and tracking their data policies.
Quantifying the Benefits of Kalido Data Governance Director
While “the obvious benefit of better data governance is better data quality,” Nucleus analysts also identified a number of other key benefit areas. These include:
- Increased productivity: “Kalido provides a single platform for data policy creation, communication and monitoring to make data governance more efficient.” In addition, “A common foundation for defining, implementing, and enforcing data governance can also reduce the need to clean and validate data on an ongoing basis. For most organizations, this results in reduced outside data cleansing costs; increased productivity for analysts, business users and IT staff; or both.”
- Reduced cost of compliance: According to one Lighthouse participant, “We have a policy, it’s been communicated, that’s only 80 percent. We wanted to have a well-running policy management function before next year. As we get audited it will be a much less painful process.”
- Improved business process efficiency: “A complete and correct view of business data and confidence in enterprise data at the departmental level can drive faster decision making and enable mangers to identify opportunities to manage and reduce operational costs.”
- Manage risk: One Lighthouse participant said, “In a highly regulated environment, the ability to centrally and efficiently draft and manage our policies downstream will help mitigate risk and better ensure oversight and enforcement of regulations coming our way.”
- Improved customer satisfaction: Improving data quality through better data governance accelerates response time to customer inquiries and improves the customer experience.
- Support for growth: The study found, “Ultimately, the efficiencies and results of improved data governance enable organizations to spend less time reconciling and discussing data and more time on top-line growth opportunities.”
Identifying Best Practices
The independent Nucleus Research study provides a number of best practices based on input from Lighthouse participants as well as suggested metrics for organizations seeking to implement a data governance program.
Rebecca Wettemann, vice president of research, Nucleus Research, said:
- “In our analysis of end users, there's recognition that data governance is a challenge, but the clearer challenge is how to operationalize data governance in a way that increases the productivity of all groups that touch the data and makes governance more efficient and actionable. Kalido Data Governance Director provides a framework to drive ongoing repeatable benefits from data governance.”
Bill Hewitt, president and CEO of Kalido, said:
- “Data governance is a long overdue discipline focused on keeping bad data from infecting the business environment. With the explosive growth in data caused by cloud, mobile and social networking apps, companies have to develop strong business processes to manage data. In this research note, Nucleus has done a good job in identifying the starting points for an effective data governance program. Companies can use Kalido Data Governance Director today to help them achieve these benefits more quickly than with any other approach.”
Kalido is the leading provider of business-driven data governance software. Kalido enables companies to manage data as a shared enterprise asset by supporting the business process of data management. Kalido software has been deployed at more than 300 locations in over 100 countries, including 20 percent of the world’s most profitable companies as determined by Fortune Magazine. More information about Kalido can be found at: http://www.kalido.com.
No comments have been posted yet.