Talend, a global open source software leader, today provided initial details on its product roadmap, incorporating the products and technology it obtained last month as a result of the acquisition of SOPERA. The rapid integration of Talend’s award-winning solution with SOPERA’s open source SOA and application integration platforms, ideally position the company to become the de-facto global leader in open source middleware.
Application and data integration needs are increasingly converging, which created the impetus for Talend’s acquisition of SOPERA. As organizations become more distributed and data sources more diverse, IT organizations need to efficiently and effectively leverage their information and application assets. Data management and application integration technologies used in combination, meet these changing business demands. Based on Talend’s roadmap, IT organizations can leverage a unified global middleware platform that costs far less than proprietary technologies, delivers greater functionality and is easier to deploy and manage.
With the acquisition, Sopera is now a wholly owned subsidiary of Talend and will become Talend’s application integration division. Talend will retain Sopera employees and capitalize on their know-how, while investing to accelerate the global expansion of the newly formed division.
“The data integration and application integration disciplines are closely interrelated since they address similar issues, through multiple modes of interaction and delivery,” said Ted Friedman, vice president, Gartner. “We continue to note an ongoing convergence of these disciplines. Organizations that take a strategic and holistic view of their information and application infrastructure, involving both types of integration competency, will gain substantial business benefit.”
In the first half of 2011, Talend will provide general availability for some key products.
The first category of products will specifically address the need for unified data management and application integration capabilities. These include:
- Data connection and transformation capabilities that enable users to easily plug data from various sources such as service-oriented architectures (SOA) into their enterprise service buses (ESB).
- Enhanced data integration solutions that utilize underlying ESB technology to create reliable and secure data services for use in SOA.
- Integration of Talend’s open source MDM solution with the application integration solutions.
Talend also announced that it will provide the SOPERA Advanced Service Factory (ASF) product under the same brand name to continue to address the comprehensive SOA needs of large enterprises. SOPERA ASF is a complete open source SOA suite based on a coherent set of integration modules that address service enablement, business processes, messaging, data transformation and monitoring and management. Talend is committed to the current roadmap for this suite of products to address broader availability across new platforms and greater monitoring and management capabilities.
“SOPERA ASF is the foundation for our service-oriented architecture today,” said Dr. Johannes Helbig, CIO of Deutsche Post, “Having successfully employed SOPERA ASF for many years now and having played an integral part in SOPERA’s open source strategy, I am delighted to have the resources of Talend committed to its future growth and evolution. This commitment gives us the confidence to continue to meet the growing needs of our business through the further reuse and integration of our application and data resources.”
Finally, Talend will offer new products based on application integration projects at the Apache Software Foundation that will enable developers to easily download and deploy specific integration capabilities. Several Talend employees are currently active leaders and contributors to a number of popular Apache projects. These projects will form the basis of the following products scheduled for release in the first half of 2011:
- Talend Service Factory Community Edition based on Apache CXF- Currently available.
- Talend Integration Factory Community Edition based on Apache Camel- To be released to Talend community in February 2011.
- Talend Message Broker Community Edition based on Apache ActiveMQ- To be released to Talend community in May 2011.
- Talend ESB Standard Edition- Available March 2011. A fully functional ESB, licensed under an Apache license and available for download from the community. Talend will offer developer and production support.
- Talend ESB Enterprise Edition- Available June 2011. Will offer additional enterprise functionality such as governance and security for large-scale enterprise implementations. Available under a subscription license.
“The rapid integration of Talend’s and SOPERA’s products and unmatched innovation across all of our product lines will ideally address the critical need for organizations to better manage the deluge of data and complexity of interoperable systems created in an increasingly interconnected world of complex systems and applications,” said Fabrice Bonan, co-founder and chief operating officer, Talend. “Our primary focus as a company is to deliver cost-effective solutions that put the customer first. By accelerating the convergence of data management and application integration, we are addressing one of the primary challenges in IT today: full utilization of company’s data to power its critical applications and processes.”
Article sourced from www.talend.com, click here to read full story.